• Discussions 169
    • Messages 171

Satire News

Sort By:
Title ↓
RepliesViews
Last Message
  1. dan5

Why did I get on the bloody X3 bus service?!

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatDec 8, 2017 with 0 replies and 12 views.

I always make this mistake. Always gets to John Lewis & Waitrose okay, maybe a few minutes late... getting back is always a nightmare. Bus doesn't stop, misses out the bus stop by changing route, is excessively late or is missed out.Today, it (the 14:20 Ipswich Buses X3) was 12 minutes late and was freezing cold in the wind waiting for it! A few minutes later the next x3. The next x3 appears to have been on time, so no excuse for that bus...

2. dan5

What does Tessuti mean? Is it a well-known upmarket brand?

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatSep 27, 2017 with 0 replies and 93 views.

News following an upmarket brand moving in the old Next unit in Westgate Street, most of us don't know anything about them.What does Tessuti mean? Tessuti is Italian for textiles. Except, this brand doesn't manufacture clothes (that we know of), only sales luxury designer brands.Is it upmarket? Is it well-known?It is a little above Next and M&S.It isn't a worldwide brand. It is a small UK brand part of the JD Sports group, who are...

3. dan5

What Does Pret A Manger Mean? Is It Upmarket?

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatAug 5, 2017 with 5 replies and 167 views.

So, Pret maybe coming to Ipswich and might be at the Grimwades building on the corner of the Cornhill.Excuse the romanised version using only the Latin alphabet characters. What does Pret a Manger mean? Pret a Manger is french for "ready to eat". The story goes it was inspired by a clothing brand called Pret a Porter ("ready to wear"). Pret is also Romanian for "price". If we can trust Google Translate... "hosts" in Albanian, "fun" in...

Latest reply: Well, Realise Futures has a big turnover, effectively making money out of disabled people. It is a newish organisation that is pretty bloated. A lot of money falling into a few peoples hands. Were they booted out? I was surprised how they were...

4. dan5

US Grand Prix: Max Verstappen controversial decision

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatOct 22, 2017 with 0 replies and 31 views.

This highlights everything wrong with the sport. The stewards wouldn't have done it for any other team than Ferrari. It was absolutely immediate for a 5 second penalty to have been awarded. I have witnessed investigations from incidents in the last 5 laps of the race being settled after the race and after the podium. Not here, I was watching it on TV and after the victory lap, just before the advert break, the penalty came up. Someone...

5. dan5

University of Suffolk college fails cladding fire safety standards

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatOct 11, 2017 with 0 replies and 37 views.

East Coast College, an location for University of Suffolk has joined Ipswich residential development Ipaxis as failing to meet cladding fire safety standards. These are the only two known buildings in Suffolk. Cumberland Towers changed specification for their cladding (as has the Wine Rack - but perhaps for a different reason) to avoid installing such vulnerable cladding product. Non-residential buildings don't have to adhere so strictly as...

6. dan5

Suffolk's Sophie Faldo wins Great British Bake Off

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatOct 31, 2017 with 0 replies and 91 views.

Suffolk's Sophie Faldo wins Great British Bake Off. She is also being investigated for benefit fraud says the tabloids. Something she denies.I had no idea who she is or the serious allegation of wrong doing until I googled the name.This Bake Off finalist who was in the British Army as an Officer in the Royal Artillery - but is now being investigated for benefit fraud...She lives in Surrey (I assume initially fom Suffolk) Or maybe it...

7. dan5

Suffolk Highways: Western Way, Bury St Edmunds

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatOct 11, 2017 with 0 replies and 57 views.

Suffolk County Council (Suffolk Highways/Kier) are undertaking some S278 works (SCCDCS00000709) opposite ASDA in Western Way, Bury St Edmunds. 687 Pedestrian traffic lights out-of-order, big metal railings for roadworks and no safe method for people crossing the road here. Local councillor, Jane Storey disagrees...688 It could well be Jane telling the truth with such temporary lights having been replaced since then (however unlikely that...

8. dan5

Suffolk Highways (Kier)

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatSep 23, 2017 with 6 replies and 86 views.

No medals won for Suffolk Highways... this post will serve as documentation for their poor service whilst they milk the taxpayer. Suffolk County Council contract is currently with Kier - highly controversial to renew it.Feel free to post photos of their shoddy workmanship or to discuss it. (If they do well, feel free to give them some credit when it goes well)

Latest reply: Up for an award according to latest SCC county council meeting...Suffolk Highways had been shortlisted for the Highway Partnership Award and the Suffolk Highways’ surface dressing delivery team were ‘highly commended’ in the Team of the Year...

9. dan5

Pret A Manger Targets British Workers Ahead Of Brexit

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatAug 5, 2017 with 0 replies and 58 views.

From Financial Times...Only one in 50 applicants for jobs at sandwich chain are from UKPret A Manger, the UK coffee-and-sandwiches chain beloved by office workers, is making extra efforts to recruit British staff in anticipation of a fall in EU immigration because of Brexit. Pret has previously said that only one in 50 people who applied to work at the chain was from the UK, because Brits did not consider it a “desirable place to work”....

10. dan5

Pret A Manger Coming To Arras Square?

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatAug 19, 2017 with 2 replies and 53 views.

There has been much speculation that Pret is coming to Ipswich. Some people are really excited about this prospect but most people don't really care. Ipswich Star (and a few others) have speculated for Pret to get the prominent Cornhill corner spot in Grimwades... looks unlikely due to borough policy. Why wouldn't Pret establish itself in the popular Buttermarket Centre or find a suitable high street location?For one, there are various...

Latest reply: Simple fix... repave Butter Market and Arras Square. Step 1: Encourage Footfall. (Prettify the place)Unfortunately the borough doesn't get it. They will be saying along the lines of "...but it would make the rest of the town look out of place...

11. dan5

Pret A Manager coming to Buttermarket Centre

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatSep 29, 2017 with 1 replies and 62 views.

Pret A Manger is anticipated to go on ground floor of Buttermarket Centre facing on to Butter Market street (a 2 minute walk from Costa Coffee).642 A planning application for the revamp of Ipswich Buttermarket Centre has hinted at Pret going adjacent to New Look (other side of the Butter Market entrance) - as shown in the above snippet snapshot. I don't particularly care (personally!) but am happy the new owners are willing to inject more...

Latest reply: Apparently not. A spokeswoman from Pret A Manger said: “Our plans to open a Pret shop on the Cornhill are progressing well, but just to confirm, the Buttermarket Centre isn’t an area we’re currently are looking at.”Who cares. You have to ask...

12. norfolksuffolk

Norfolk Police

by norfolksuffolk in Offtopic ChatFeb 27, 2017 with 0 replies and 57 views.

Has anyone viewed the YouTube videos demonstrating the poor style of policing from Norfolk?I have sadly observed many instances of police abuse of power. The Norfolk & Suffolk Police merger is bad for Suffolk.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUO2oNz5m3ISomeone filming out and about with his kid near a police station. An officer (inspector?), clearly not a constable, pounces on him. He wouldn't confirm if the man was committing a...

13. martinc

Nextdoor

by martinc in Offtopic ChatOct 13, 2017 with 1 replies and 58 views.

"what is it good for, absolutely nothing, say it again!"I look at Nextdoor sometimes, I did manage to get a decent bit of discussion about the bridge overnight closures but for the most part its just so feeble.! And you can see so little of it, unlike its predecessor you are strictly confined to geographical areas, and can't add more other than those just beyond your own, so i can't see town centre stuff which would interest me, without a...

Latest reply: This is why I didn't migrate across. If I want a private conversation with my neighbours, I would do it in person. It is the problem with American companies trying to market a new trend. I am surprised so many people migrated across (not sure if...

14. dan5

LONGWOOD FIELDS HOUSING ESTATE

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatOct 17, 2017 with 0 replies and 64 views.

Ever wanted to live next to one of Suffolk's busiest roads?Tired of your quiet suburban life and want to see a lot more traffic every day?Always wanted to live within yards of a busy dual carriageway?Desperate to live somewhere that isn't quite in a village?WELL NOW YOU CAN!Longwood Fields is a modern housing estate of 180 new-build houses packed into a tiny site with just one exit.Constructed at the junction of the A12 with...

15. dan5

Jodie Whittaker: Doctor Who 13th Time Lord To Be A Woman

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatJul 16, 2017 with 0 replies and 55 views.

About time the doctor of Doctor Who was a woman, but is it unlucky (13th) for it to be feminist Jodie Whittaker?Jodie Whittaker: Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord to be a woman - BBC NewsSome people might be happy but I think - gender aside - she is the wrong person for the role. The BBC don't appear very well at casting the right people these days. I am not a big Doctor Who fan - whovian - some episodes are really good but the vast majority...

Thread Display Options