• Messages 171

Satire News

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓Views
Last Message
  1. dan5

Suffolk Highways (Kier)

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatSep 23, 2017 with 6 replies and 86 views.

No medals won for Suffolk Highways... this post will serve as documentation for their poor service whilst they milk the taxpayer. Suffolk County Council contract is currently with Kier - highly controversial to renew it.Feel free to post photos of their shoddy workmanship or to discuss it. (If they do well, feel free to give them some credit when it goes well)

Latest reply: Up for an award according to latest SCC county council meeting...Suffolk Highways had been shortlisted for the Highway Partnership Award and the Suffolk Highways’ surface dressing delivery team were ‘highly commended’ in the Team of the Year...

2. dan5

What Does Pret A Manger Mean? Is It Upmarket?

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatAug 5, 2017 with 5 replies and 167 views.

So, Pret maybe coming to Ipswich and might be at the Grimwades building on the corner of the Cornhill.Excuse the romanised version using only the Latin alphabet characters. What does Pret a Manger mean? Pret a Manger is french for "ready to eat". The story goes it was inspired by a clothing brand called Pret a Porter ("ready to wear"). Pret is also Romanian for "price". If we can trust Google Translate... "hosts" in Albanian, "fun" in...

Latest reply: Well, Realise Futures has a big turnover, effectively making money out of disabled people. It is a newish organisation that is pretty bloated. A lot of money falling into a few peoples hands. Were they booted out? I was surprised how they were...

3. dan5

Ipswich Escape Rooms

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatAug 9, 2017 with 4 replies and 75 views.

Has anyone tried the Ipswich Escape Rooms? There was one at Suffolk Food Hall and one at Dencora Business Centre.Ipswich Escape RoomsDencora Business Centre36 White House RoadIpswich IP1 5LTThe concept extends from mobile phone game apps: Android Escape Room Apps and Apple iOS Escape Room Apps. The offline version is £26 per person - pretty expensive for an hour - but at the same time something novel which might be worth the cost for...

Latest reply: It would be a very interesting experience to setup one of these escape rooms, set someone a challenge... I think the anonymous door and flights of stairs would probably add to the whole experience. Probably not the same for a first floor room...

4. dan5

Booking.nay - Last minute October getaways!

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatOct 11, 2017 with 2 replies and 50 views.

Booking.com, booking dot yeah? No, booking dot nay!686 Not only is Booking.com awful (not the purpose of this mini-rant) this morning I saw an email in my personal email Junk Mail folder from Booking.com suggesting "it's not too late for a last-minute October getaway!".Except my location and billing address is Ipswich. Why would I want to getaway, not getaway?I used to be plagued with emails suggesting hotel rooms in Stowmarket of all...

Latest reply: Might just be me then. :DTo be fair it wasn't a hotel... didn't have problems before using them for hotels. We booked an apartment in Central London close to a mainline tube/rail station - which we thought would be better than a hotel, good...

5. dan5

Pret A Manger Coming To Arras Square?

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatAug 19, 2017 with 2 replies and 53 views.

There has been much speculation that Pret is coming to Ipswich. Some people are really excited about this prospect but most people don't really care. Ipswich Star (and a few others) have speculated for Pret to get the prominent Cornhill corner spot in Grimwades... looks unlikely due to borough policy. Why wouldn't Pret establish itself in the popular Buttermarket Centre or find a suitable high street location?For one, there are various...

Latest reply: Simple fix... repave Butter Market and Arras Square. Step 1: Encourage Footfall. (Prettify the place)Unfortunately the borough doesn't get it. They will be saying along the lines of "...but it would make the rest of the town look out of place...

6. martinc

Nextdoor

by martinc in Offtopic ChatOct 13, 2017 with 1 replies and 58 views.

"what is it good for, absolutely nothing, say it again!"I look at Nextdoor sometimes, I did manage to get a decent bit of discussion about the bridge overnight closures but for the most part its just so feeble.! And you can see so little of it, unlike its predecessor you are strictly confined to geographical areas, and can't add more other than those just beyond your own, so i can't see town centre stuff which would interest me, without a...

Latest reply: This is why I didn't migrate across. If I want a private conversation with my neighbours, I would do it in person. It is the problem with American companies trying to market a new trend. I am surprised so many people migrated across (not sure if...

7. dan5

Pret A Manager coming to Buttermarket Centre

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatSep 29, 2017 with 1 replies and 62 views.

Pret A Manger is anticipated to go on ground floor of Buttermarket Centre facing on to Butter Market street (a 2 minute walk from Costa Coffee).642 A planning application for the revamp of Ipswich Buttermarket Centre has hinted at Pret going adjacent to New Look (other side of the Butter Market entrance) - as shown in the above snippet snapshot. I don't particularly care (personally!) but am happy the new owners are willing to inject more...

Latest reply: Apparently not. A spokeswoman from Pret A Manger said: “Our plans to open a Pret shop on the Cornhill are progressing well, but just to confirm, the Buttermarket Centre isn’t an area we’re currently are looking at.”Who cares. You have to ask...

8. martinc

Its gone...

by martinc in Offtopic ChatApr 4, 2017 with 1 replies and 46 views.

very quiet.....

Latest reply: but not today.. thanks..

9. martinc

Ipswich Star commits treason?

by martinc in Offtopic ChatMar 24, 2017 with 1 replies and 39 views.

I didn't find anything particularly funny to be honest as I scrolled through the Ipswich Star's contribution towards Red Nose day today.A comic twist on nostalgic pictures for Red Nose Daybut I was a little surprised to see this photo...I'm no royalist but I did think it was perhaps a bit disrespectful, at best just unnecessary, plenty of other people they could send up.But I loved this in the comments, I hope it's true, was Mike...

Latest reply: Paul Geater.

10. dan5

Why did I get on the bloody X3 bus service?!

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatDec 8, 2017 with 0 replies and 12 views.

I always make this mistake. Always gets to John Lewis & Waitrose okay, maybe a few minutes late... getting back is always a nightmare. Bus doesn't stop, misses out the bus stop by changing route, is excessively late or is missed out.Today, it (the 14:20 Ipswich Buses X3) was 12 minutes late and was freezing cold in the wind waiting for it! A few minutes later the next x3. The next x3 appears to have been on time, so no excuse for that bus...

11. dan5

Ipswich Society Annual Awards 2017

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatNov 24, 2017 with 0 replies and 37 views.

We will have to await the Ipswich Society January 2018 newsletter to find out about the full details of the awards evening. Until then on IPSWI Ipswich Community we can reveal the main winners are as follows:-854 855 856 857 858 (Images from Ipswich Society)As always visit their facebook page and official website, Ipswich Society Homepage

12. dan5

How unique was Ipswich's modern bauble christmas tree?

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatNov 12, 2017 with 0 replies and 83 views.

Ipswich's Modern Aluminium Sphere Bauble Tree has been demoted to the Ipswich Waterfront. It cost £10,000 5 years ago - the longer they keep the monstrosity the cheaper it becomes. Intend to spark up discussion across East Anglia and the UK, it was largely talked about for the wrong reasons.Paul Clement, chief executive of Ipswich Central, said he was pleased people were talking about the tree – whether they liked it or not.“This is the...

13. dan5

Anyone from Bury St Edmunds or Norwich coming to shop in Ipswich?

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatNov 8, 2017 with 0 replies and 27 views.

Just a question. 784More applicable this year without having the largest borough-owned car park - Crown Car Park - open.

14. dan5

Suffolk's Sophie Faldo wins Great British Bake Off

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatOct 31, 2017 with 0 replies and 91 views.

Suffolk's Sophie Faldo wins Great British Bake Off. She is also being investigated for benefit fraud says the tabloids. Something she denies.I had no idea who she is or the serious allegation of wrong doing until I googled the name.This Bake Off finalist who was in the British Army as an Officer in the Royal Artillery - but is now being investigated for benefit fraud...She lives in Surrey (I assume initially fom Suffolk) Or maybe it...

15. dan5

US Grand Prix: Max Verstappen controversial decision

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatOct 22, 2017 with 0 replies and 31 views.

This highlights everything wrong with the sport. The stewards wouldn't have done it for any other team than Ferrari. It was absolutely immediate for a 5 second penalty to have been awarded. I have witnessed investigations from incidents in the last 5 laps of the race being settled after the race and after the podium. Not here, I was watching it on TV and after the victory lap, just before the advert break, the penalty came up. Someone...

Thread Display Options