Offtopic Chat

Discuss national or international issues and Forum Games

Sort By:
Title
RepliesViews
Last Message ↓
  1. dan5

How unique was Ipswich's modern bauble christmas tree?

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatNov 12, 2017 with 0 replies and 28 views.

Ipswich's Modern Aluminium Sphere Bauble Tree has been demoted to the Ipswich Waterfront. It cost £10,000 5 years ago - the longer they keep the monstrosity the cheaper it becomes. Intend to spark up discussion across East Anglia and the UK, it was largely talked about for the wrong reasons.Paul Clement, chief executive of Ipswich Central, said he was pleased people were talking about the tree – whether they liked it or not.“This is the...

2. dan5

Anyone from Bury St Edmunds or Norwich coming to shop in Ipswich?

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatNov 8, 2017 with 0 replies and 20 views.

Just a question. 784More applicable this year without having the largest borough-owned car park - Crown Car Park - open.

3. dan5

Suffolk's Sophie Faldo wins Great British Bake Off

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatOct 31, 2017 with 0 replies and 76 views.

Suffolk's Sophie Faldo wins Great British Bake Off. She is also being investigated for benefit fraud says the tabloids. Something she denies.I had no idea who she is or the serious allegation of wrong doing until I googled the name.This Bake Off finalist who was in the British Army as an Officer in the Royal Artillery - but is now being investigated for benefit fraud...She lives in Surrey (I assume initially fom Suffolk) Or maybe it...

4. dan5

US Grand Prix: Max Verstappen controversial decision

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatOct 22, 2017 with 0 replies and 28 views.

This highlights everything wrong with the sport. The stewards wouldn't have done it for any other team than Ferrari. It was absolutely immediate for a 5 second penalty to have been awarded. I have witnessed investigations from incidents in the last 5 laps of the race being settled after the race and after the podium. Not here, I was watching it on TV and after the victory lap, just before the advert break, the penalty came up. Someone...

5. dan5

LONGWOOD FIELDS HOUSING ESTATE

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatOct 17, 2017 with 0 replies and 34 views.

Ever wanted to live next to one of Suffolk's busiest roads?Tired of your quiet suburban life and want to see a lot more traffic every day?Always wanted to live within yards of a busy dual carriageway?Desperate to live somewhere that isn't quite in a village?WELL NOW YOU CAN!Longwood Fields is a modern housing estate of 180 new-build houses packed into a tiny site with just one exit.Constructed at the junction of the A12 with...

6. dan5

Booking.nay - Last minute October getaways!

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatOct 11, 2017 with 2 replies and 42 views.

Booking.com, booking dot yeah? No, booking dot nay!686 Not only is Booking.com awful (not the purpose of this mini-rant) this morning I saw an email in my personal email Junk Mail folder from Booking.com suggesting "it's not too late for a last-minute October getaway!".Except my location and billing address is Ipswich. Why would I want to getaway, not getaway?I used to be plagued with emails suggesting hotel rooms in Stowmarket of all...

Latest reply: Might just be me then. :DTo be fair it wasn't a hotel... didn't have problems before using them for hotels. We booked an apartment in Central London close to a mainline tube/rail station - which we thought would be better than a hotel, good...

7. martinc

Nextdoor

by martinc in Offtopic ChatOct 13, 2017 with 1 replies and 50 views.

"what is it good for, absolutely nothing, say it again!"I look at Nextdoor sometimes, I did manage to get a decent bit of discussion about the bridge overnight closures but for the most part its just so feeble.! And you can see so little of it, unlike its predecessor you are strictly confined to geographical areas, and can't add more other than those just beyond your own, so i can't see town centre stuff which would interest me, without a...

Latest reply: This is why I didn't migrate across. If I want a private conversation with my neighbours, I would do it in person. It is the problem with American companies trying to market a new trend. I am surprised so many people migrated across (not sure if...

8. dan5

University of Suffolk college fails cladding fire safety standards

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatOct 11, 2017 with 0 replies and 32 views.

East Coast College, an location for University of Suffolk has joined Ipswich residential development Ipaxis as failing to meet cladding fire safety standards. These are the only two known buildings in Suffolk. Cumberland Towers changed specification for their cladding (as has the Wine Rack - but perhaps for a different reason) to avoid installing such vulnerable cladding product. Non-residential buildings don't have to adhere so strictly as...

9. dan5

Suffolk Highways (Kier)

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatSep 23, 2017 with 5 replies and 66 views.

No medals won for Suffolk Highways... this post will serve as documentation for their poor service whilst they milk the taxpayer. Suffolk County Council contract is currently with Kier - highly controversial to renew it.Feel free to post photos of their shoddy workmanship or to discuss it. (If they do well, feel free to give them some credit when it goes well)

Latest reply: This was pretty bad... traffic lights out of actions and no alternative for crossing pedestrians.

10. dan5

Suffolk Highways: Western Way, Bury St Edmunds

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatOct 11, 2017 with 0 replies and 44 views.

Suffolk County Council (Suffolk Highways/Kier) are undertaking some S278 works (SCCDCS00000709) opposite ASDA in Western Way, Bury St Edmunds. 687 Pedestrian traffic lights out-of-order, big metal railings for roadworks and no safe method for people crossing the road here. Local councillor, Jane Storey disagrees...688 It could well be Jane telling the truth with such temporary lights having been replaced since then (however unlikely that...

11. dan5

Pret A Manager coming to Buttermarket Centre

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatSep 29, 2017 with 1 replies and 52 views.

Pret A Manger is anticipated to go on ground floor of Buttermarket Centre facing on to Butter Market street (a 2 minute walk from Costa Coffee).642 A planning application for the revamp of Ipswich Buttermarket Centre has hinted at Pret going adjacent to New Look (other side of the Butter Market entrance) - as shown in the above snippet snapshot. I don't particularly care (personally!) but am happy the new owners are willing to inject more...

Latest reply: Apparently not. A spokeswoman from Pret A Manger said: “Our plans to open a Pret shop on the Cornhill are progressing well, but just to confirm, the Buttermarket Centre isn’t an area we’re currently are looking at.”Who cares. You have to ask...

12. dan5

What does Tessuti mean? Is it a well-known upmarket brand?

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatSep 27, 2017 with 0 replies and 67 views.

News following an upmarket brand moving in the old Next unit in Westgate Street, most of us don't know anything about them.What does Tessuti mean? Tessuti is Italian for textiles. Except, this brand doesn't manufacture clothes (that we know of), only sales luxury designer brands.Is it upmarket? Is it well-known?It is a little above Next and M&S.It isn't a worldwide brand. It is a small UK brand part of the JD Sports group, who are...

13. dan5

Crown Street cannabis factory to become apartments

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatSep 27, 2017 with 0 replies and 34 views.

Ipswich Society has revealed the progress of new apartments at the former Indian restaurant in Crown Street.22-28 Crown Street. Probably built as a garage, it has been an Indian restaurant and a cannabis factory! It had planning permission for change of use to four apartments on the ground floor and three on the first. This application later sought consent for an extra flat on the first floor and the construction of a steel framed second...

14. dan5

Ipswich Star still promoting Streetlife

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatSep 26, 2017 with 0 replies and 26 views.

On the Contact Us (Send us a Story) page on Ipswich Star they are still promoting Streetlife.You can use this form to tell us about a story. Just fill in as much detail as possible and remember to include your contact details so we can get in touch if we need to find out more.If you have news to share with your community you can also post it on streetlife.com, the local social network brought to you by the Ipswich Star. Click here to find...

15. dan5

Clickbait: £650 Valentino heels identical to Primark £14

by dan5 in Offtopic ChatSep 21, 2017 with 0 replies and 25 views.

Signed out of Outlook... see how bad clickbait is now becoming... 588 How does the shoe/heels on the right look identical (or similar) to that on the left?The only similarities are the "nude" colour, the metal stud and the fact they are heels. Random I know but this is pathetic... the writer for the Mirror (appearing on MSN lifestyle) plugs both Primark and where you can get the full price pair of shoes from.

Thread Display Options