Local Politics

• Discussions 1
    • Messages 2

Ipswich Democracy Group

A democratic group for Ipswich consisting of voters and taxpayers instead of Ipswich Vision Group and Greater Ipswich Partnership.
    • Discussions 3
    • Messages 3

Travel Ipswich

Travel Ipswich 2.0
    • Discussions 24
    • Messages 45

Upper Orwell Crossings

Discuss the Upper Orwell Crossings
  1. Orwell Unitary Authority

Discuss a Orwell Unitary Authority/North Haven Unitary Authority/Greater Ipswich Unitary Authority.
    (Contains no messages)
    • Discussions 4
    • Messages 6

Ipswich Traffic Gridlock

Report on Ipswich traffic congestion, problems and incidents.
Random Thread
Sort By:
Title
RepliesViews
Last Message ↓
  1. dan5

Sandy Martin: Blog coming soon (sandyofipswich.co.uk)

by dan5 in Local PoliticsNov 15, 2017 at 5:52 PM with 0 replies and 21 views.

It appears as though Sandy Martin will have a new website by the new year!828 It has taken long enough... :tearsofjoy:

2. dan5

Ipswich Rentacops: How useful are the Street Rangers?

by dan5 in Local PoliticsNov 15, 2017 at 12:18 PM with 0 replies and 27 views.

What was once a very visible presence in the high street as a replacement for the police, is getting a rarer sight. There used to be a team of 5 street rangers walking the streets of Ipswich six days a week.A team of five street rangers patrol the streets of Ipswich town centre six days a week. The rangers are the "eyes and ears" of the BID, and take appropriate action to get issues sorted out as they arise. This could include reporting...

3. dan5

Central Suffolk MP Dr Dan Poulter sticks hands up female MP skirts

by dan5 in Local PoliticsNov 5, 2017 with 2 replies and 78 views.

It wouldn't be surprising for MPs to have bad conduct being in such a position they think they can get away with anything. Outside Westminster we have laws and the police, inside Westminster they have codes of conduct ("rules") and own committees. However, Dan Poulter, the Central Suffolk & North Ipswich MP, is a doctor, a highly responsible role with strict code on conduct. Allegations, have been made which relate to sexual harassment and...

Latest reply: "trust me, I'm a doctor"

4. dan5

Ipswich Christmas Market: Charity Stalls

by dan5 in Local PoliticsNov 3, 2017 with 0 replies and 46 views.

Ipswich Borough Council has created a new class for this years Ipswich Christmas Market - "charity". For £150, charities can have a stall for 3 days on the Ipswich Christmas Market. We anticipate quite an uptake. Charities often have a stall at the Ipswich Charter Market and have been known to attend previous Christmas Markets. £50 per day appears to be a small price to pay to collect donations. These charity stalls aren't likely to be...

5. dan5

Ipswich Christmas Market: 25% local rent increase

by dan5 in Local PoliticsNov 3, 2017 with 0 replies and 58 views.

Ipswich Borough Council has increased stall rental at Ipswich Christmas Market 2017 by up to 25% for local traders. The standard market stall rental is £250 an increase of 25% from last year (£200).Local caterers have seen their rental increase from £375 last year to £450 this year - an increase of 20%.The price of electricity has also increased - it has doubled from £25 to £50.Last year, a local trader renting a stall, with a hired...

6. martinc

Filthy, dirty, scruffy Ipswich.

by martinc in Local PoliticsJun 21, 2017 with 8 replies and 130 views.

I've been away for a bit. And while away visited a few other UK towns and cities. They all leave you with some impression, you pick up on certain features which stand out, for me walking the streets is usually the general state of the place and I can report that as a couple of examples Edinburgh is packed with tourists and Newcastle has a fair bit of graffiti but that both are pretty clean and tidy.So I get back home to Ipswich and on...

Latest reply: Mattresses could be handy for the folks living at the bus station..

7. Ipswi

Ben Gummer

by Ipswi in Local PoliticsApr 15, 2017 with 65 replies and 184 views.

Benedict Michael Gummer (Ben Gummer) has been our MP for coming up to 7 years now after defeating Chris Mole at the 2010 General Election. This topic will serve for all discussions directly relating to Ben Gummer.Ben Gummer ContractBen's Contract with Ipswich Voters.Many people have lost their faith in politicians. Voters are fed up with the lies and the failure to deliver real change.I want to be different.That is why I have drawn up...

Latest reply: YouGov popularity contest regarding Ben Gummer. Interesting information, pretty consistent over 2 years of data and isn't a protest/complaints site. This volume of people could easily sway the vote - which happened. Oh, and that photo again,...

8. dan5

Ben Gummer: Hated by Ipswich residents

by dan5 in Local PoliticsOct 24, 2017 with 0 replies and 55 views.

According to YouGov, Ben Gummer had 2200 ratings (79th percentile) with a positivity of minus 60 (23rd percentile). This is over 2 years period. (approx percentages)33 loved him (1.5%)190 were happy with him (8.6%)419 was content with him (19%)609 were unhappy with him (27.7%)949 hated him (43%)Summary223 (10%) were positive419 (19%) were neither impressed or too unhappy1558 (71%) were very negative735 What people think of Ben...

9. martinc

Pot Holes.

by martinc in Local PoliticsAug 17, 2017 with 17 replies and 132 views.

It's getting really bad. You expect a few bits of poor road here and there, but this morning in a two mile drive from outskirts into town centre i now have to actively steer around 4 significant potholes now that I think could potentially damage the car, would most certainly throw off a cyclist or biker.. Now they have all been marked with spray paint so Highways know about them all. But one of the, actually the hardest to avoid, and it means...

Latest reply: lol, yes, i think its more than silly, just posted that in another thread before I read this!

10. dan5

Norwich has won £103m more lottery funding than Ipswich

by dan5 in Local PoliticsOct 24, 2017 with 0 replies and 47 views.

A great post by Orwell Ahead has revealed a shocking difference between successful lottery funding bids between Norfolk and Suffolk, and the relevant towns over the last 10 years.SUFFOLK'S FUNDING FAILURE: LOTTERY FUNDING 2007-2017 .Norfolk has secured 40% more lottery bids and 50% more funding than similar situated Suffolk over the last 20 years. It is actually urban Suffolk which loses out most: Kings Lynn won £10m more than Bury St...

11. dan5

Ipswich joint fifth for best performing city economies

by dan5 in Local PoliticsOct 23, 2017 with 0 replies and 41 views.

You might be happy to hear Ipswich is performing well on news of Ipswich being 5th in the country for growth of 2% but should we celebrate? At #22 for employment of 0.6% growth is worrying (relative to GVA growth). Technology also accounts for just 5% of the city GVA. You can read the full report here.Wait. Hang on a minute! Ipswich isn't a city. If we look at vacant office and retail units in the town you could be mistaken that the town is...

12. dan5

Park & Ride Ipswich: Better without Suffolk County Council

by dan5 in Local PoliticsOct 23, 2017 with 0 replies and 28 views.

Not perfect. I don't like the branding, but compared to what they previously had when operated under Suffolk County Council Tender it is much more professional. Here is Copdock Mill/London Road Park & Ride, a large plaque with the brand with a large map and prices underneath. 730 I doubt it was expensive. Looks much better than before with a few little touches... cannot blame Ipswich Buses who previously operated it as the county council...

13. martinc

Ipswich Star changes its comments facility

by martinc in Local PoliticsJun 29, 2017 with 5 replies and 81 views.

I see the good old Star is now using disqus for its comments. Good or bad? Not sure myself, may put a few people off..

Latest reply: Unfortunately it appears they are beginning to over-moderate comments again... even with the new system.

14. Ipswi

IPSWICH ARTS AND MUSEUMS TRUST (I-AM)

by Ipswi in Local PoliticsFeb 15, 2017 with 2 replies and 63 views.

After failing to get funding for what was effectively an University of Suffolk Art School campus... the charity (Company number 09404441) has been dissolved.IPSWICH ARTS AND MUSEUMS TRUSTThe objects of the Charity (the "Objects") are to: promote the arts, culture, heritage and science for the benefit of the public (and in particular, but not limited to, the people of Ipswich and the surrounding areas); advance the education and...

Latest reply: Will the university be more lucky with The Hold than the High Street Campus attempt?

15. dan5

Sandy Martin

by dan5 in Local PoliticsMay 6, 2017 with 24 replies and 103 views.

This will be the Sandy Martin discussion topic. Sandy Martin is the Labour Candidate for Ipswich, General Election 2017. It appears he doesn't currently have a website, a bit worrying a month away from a General Election although I am sure it will all soon be revealed when he launches his General Election campaign.

Latest reply: Free ChildcareSandy Martin (Ipswich) (Lab)7. What assessment she has made of the effect of the Government's policy on 30 hours of free childcare on the financial viability of childcare settings. Sandy MartinGiven that 38% of nurseries...

Thread Display Options