Central Ipswich

This covers Central Ipswich - Ipswich Town Centre including the political wards of Alexandra, St Margarets and Westgate - and for all intents and purposes the Ipswich Central BID (Business Improvement District) area, "Ipswich Village" and the Ipswich Waterfront (quayside only).

1. Cornhill

Cornhill
    (Contains no messages)
  2. Ipswich Village

Ipswich Village
    (Contains no messages)
    • Discussions 1
    • Messages 1

Ipswich Waterfront

Ipswich Waterfront
    Latest: Grafton Way ProposalOct 21, 2017 at 9:54 PM,wrightie
  3. Portman Road

Portman Road
    (Contains no messages)
    • Discussions 1
    • Messages 1

Railway Station

Ipswich Railway Station (Ipswich Train Station)
  4. Star Lane Gyratory

Star Lane Gyratory
    (Contains no messages)
  5. The Link

The Link
    (Contains no messages)
  6. The Saints

The Saints
    (Contains no messages)
  7. Town Centre

Town Centre
    (Contains no messages)
Sort By:
Title ↓
RepliesViews
Last Message
  1. dan5

Yates Tower Street: We Will Miss The Robert Ransome

by dan5 in Central IpswichAug 24, 2017 with 0 replies and 33 views.

Interesting piece by Ipswich Society... The Robert Ransome is now Yates...449 At first we lose the nice flower touch, the black is gone for grey. 450 Some inspiration... 451 Not much has changed, where did the £350k go? 452 Some changes have been made... you can now sit with a pint and watch people miss their bus and waiting unhappy for a late bus.I am sure Yates will attract more troublemakers than Robert Ransome!

2. dan5

WI to take over Ipswich Museum

by dan5 in Central IpswichFeb 25, 2017 with 0 replies and 26 views.

New Women’s Institute group, Cake & Revolution, is holding a special “black tie” event at Ipswich Museum next week.The group, which professes to be "more prosecco and body confidence than jam and Jerusalem”, won a competition to take over the Museum for a night and is now preparing for the unique event on Thursday 2nd March.The WI members and guests will be sharing the space with Museum icons Rosie, Wool-I-Am and other attractions....

3. dan5

Why Is That Grade A Office Block Still Empty?

by dan5 in Central IpswichJul 18, 2017 with 0 replies and 58 views.

You know the one I am talking about, Connexions 159 in Princes Street. Why is it still empty?Tempting fate mentioning this when an inward tenant could be signed up at any moment - unlikely - but surely possible... and most definitely welcomed, there is certain things about it which strikes me as fatal mistakes to make when taking on relatively big projects such as this one. I am not in the property game so I don't know what I am talking...

4. dan5

What's The Hold Up With The Suffolk Record Office?

by dan5 in Central IpswichAug 7, 2017 with 0 replies and 52 views.

A project which has been in the background for many years and formally adopted in 2015. A joint venture between Suffolk County Council and University of Suffolk, there has been some significant attempt by both relevant local councils - Ipswich Borough Council and Suffolk County Council - into off-loading council assets gifted to the struggling new university. Ipswich Museum & Art School was one of them - to have been developed as what would...

5. dan5

Wetherspoons Robert Ransome To Become Yates

by dan5 in Central IpswichJul 28, 2017 with 0 replies and 42 views.

Ipswich Society is reporting that the Wetherspoons pub Robert Ransome (previously Yates) has closed and will reopen as Yates in August 2018.The former Wetherspoons pub has closed for a complete revamp and conversion and is scheduled to reopen on Friday 25th August as YATES.The left photo was taken earlier this year and the right photo was taken today. The doors are closed and the blinds are down and the Wetherspoons name has been removed...

6. dan5

Update on Ipswich serious sexual assault (Tacket Street)

by dan5 in Central IpswichSep 7, 2017 with 0 replies and 32 views.

Suffolk Constabulary press release:-Detectives investigating the circumstances surrounding a woman found unconscious in an Ipswich car park at the weekend have concluded that she was not the victim of an assault.The woman was discovered by a member of the public at around 1.15am on Sunday 3 September in Tacket Street car park. She had last been seen in the area of Dogs Head Street around 12.15am.The ambulance service were called to...

7. Ipswi

University of Suffolk enters Complete University Guide 2018

by Ipswi in Central IpswichApr 26, 2017 with 0 replies and 35 views.

Ipswich Waterfront-based University of Suffolk has entered the Complete University Guide for the first time. Placed at 129 it is nothing to write home about however due to the newness of the university, it can only really climb the table (or so we all hope!). Academics have said this is due to not being able to submit data for all the categories.University of Suffolk joins Complete University Guide 2018 in last place, above Wrexham Glyndwr...

8. dan5

Travel Ipswich: Tower Ramparts Bus Station set to be remodelled

by dan5 in Central IpswichFeb 16, 2017 with 4 replies and 26 views.

Not much more than 3 years after the remodelling of Tower Ramparts Bus Station as part of Suffolk County Council's Travel Ipswich scheme, there are plans to remodel it to ease congestion of bus stops. Public transport (i.e. buses) are seen to be the way of easing road traffic congestion, despite them not being able to properly organise a bus station to prevent problems with congestion of buses obstructing the way for other buses and blocking...

Latest reply: Interesting clip... The lady is right.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnWzcWv9mYY

9. martinc

Traffic Counters Everywhere!

by martinc in Central IpswichMay 12, 2017 with 15 replies and 58 views.

The street of Ipswich have sprouted many traffic counters across carriageways over the last few days, personally seen and driven over several in Wherstead Road, all the way out ot the A14, Dogs Head St and little old Turret Lane in the town centre, also reported in Norwich Road area as well.Who's doing what and for whom?

Latest reply: They might install speed bumps to discourage traffic using that road.

10. martinc

The Winerack

by martinc in Central IpswichSep 11, 2017 with 7 replies and 79 views.

get your name down quick, before they all go.... Introduction

Latest reply: Possible that Regatta Block A (Velsheda) aka Winerack was going to use dodgy cladding?An application received this week to Substitution of an external cladding and replacing it with Keratwin K20 Ceramic Planks, colour terracotta as per...

11. Ipswi

The Link scrapped plan another nail in Ipswich waterfront coffin

by Ipswi in Central IpswichApr 25, 2017 with 4 replies and 75 views.

Archant's old offices in Lower Brook Street were to be turned into "The Link" - an architecturally brilliant mixed office, retail, leisure, hotel and multi-storey car park development. Penn Commercial as agent and Wrenbridge as developer. Not an greyfriars disaster. Except, aiming for the floor, Ipswich is to get retirement housing development instead. The Link wasn't that ambitious. CGI drawings hint at a Waitrose on ground floor. £20m of...

Latest reply: Everything planned which is the "breath of fresh air", exciting and something to be ambitious about, either doesn't make it past the idea stage or gets considerably changed before it is implemented. The council scares a lot of businesses away...

12. martinc

The Easy Hotel, what's happening?

by martinc in Central IpswichJun 30, 2017 with 9 replies and 133 views.

The site of the new Easy Hotel in Northgate Street looks to have been abandoned. Someone I know who works adjacent tells me the workers have not been on site for a month or so now. Scaffold was put up and never used, then taken down again, and the office the builders have over the road in the former restaurant hasn't seen any activity in ages.Has the project fallen through?

Latest reply: Ipswich Society...Work ceased on this project a little while back and the plans have now been revised.easi-hotel proposes reduction from 95 to 89 rooms, re-formation of the lightwell and changes to the ground floor layout, omission of approved...

13. dan5

Suffolk Libraries Awarded £704,000 Grant

by dan5 in Central IpswichAug 7, 2017 with 0 replies and 39 views.

It isn't all cuts. Suffolk Libraries has been awarded £176,000 a year grant from the Arts Council England as an National Portfolio Organisation to develop arts and culture for young people. This is either a lot of money for a centrally produced project or not so much if spread across all library branches.Arts Council England have announced that Suffolk Libraries will have the status of a National Portfolio Organisation for 2018-2022 and...

14. dan5

Stoke Bridge Buoy: Hope For Regeneration Or Distraction?

by dan5 in Central IpswichJul 18, 2017 with 0 replies and 59 views.

Stoke Bridge buoy has been painted - looking very bright - is this a plaster over the dive of an area? Or is it a sign that the council is starting to take the area seriously?1693340017628776No doubt this has been painted ready for the Maritime Festival. I hope they will litter-pick first this year!(I would volunteer to help enhance the image of Ipswich... although the council should be doing this)

15. dan5

Star Lane Gyratory: Bridge Street

by dan5 in Central IpswichApr 6, 2017 with 0 replies and 26 views.

I was situated in a Chinese Buffet for a cheap eat at lunchtime as I haven't been in many many years; and was shocked at the view from outside the window.I always felt the traffic lights so close to the roundabouts was a silly idea - in particular the first one on Star Lane.The traffic lights stopped traffic approximately every 30 seconds... which gridlocked the entire twin roundabouts on several occasions. Countless red light jumps.I...

Thread Display Options