Central Ipswich

This covers Central Ipswich - Ipswich Town Centre including the political wards of Alexandra, St Margarets and Westgate - and for all intents and purposes the Ipswich Central BID (Business Improvement District) area, "Ipswich Village" and the Ipswich Waterfront (quayside only).

1. Cornhill

Cornhill
    (Contains no messages)
  2. Ipswich Village

Ipswich Village
    (Contains no messages)
    • Discussions 1
    • Messages 1

Ipswich Waterfront

Ipswich Waterfront
    Latest: Grafton Way ProposalOct 21, 2017 at 9:54 PM,wrightie
  3. Portman Road

Portman Road
    (Contains no messages)
    • Discussions 1
    • Messages 1

Railway Station

Ipswich Railway Station (Ipswich Train Station)
  4. Star Lane Gyratory

Star Lane Gyratory
    (Contains no messages)
  5. The Link

The Link
    (Contains no messages)
  6. The Saints

The Saints
    (Contains no messages)
    • Discussions 1
    • Messages 1

Town Centre

Town Centre
Sort By:
Title
RepliesViews
Last Message
  1. dan5

Ipswich Waterfront Innovation Centre: one year on

by dan5 in Central IpswichOct 5, 2017 with 0 replies and 35 views.

As part of the University of Suffolk's £5.5m Attrium building, is the Ipswich Waterfront Innovation Centre:-Ipswich Waterfront Innovation Centre663 The Ipswich Waterfront Innovation Centre (IWIC) has been established by The University of Suffolk as a focal point for developing new entrepreneurs and ICT businesses. A single point of integration and access between enterprise, facilities and academic expertise, the IWIC will provide...

2. dan5

Rail Safety: Greater Anglia guards open wrong doors

by dan5 in Central IpswichOct 4, 2017 with 1 replies and 31 views.

In a shocking allegation made on twitter, it appears a guard (you know those who were recently protesting about being replaced by the driver when the new trains are delivered) opened the wrong doors (i.e. not the doors the correct side... the platform).This resulted in two passengers getting off on the wrong side, at Platform 1 in Ipswich Train Station. 660 Not really the best attitude to have when trying to save the long term future of...

Latest reply: Ipswich Star has now picked this up, and as many may have realised (I didn't) that the guards were stand-in guards not the guards on strike.Ipswich Star - Safety fears as stand-in guard unlocks doors on wrong side of GA trainBad mistake on my...

3. dan5

Greater Anglia Guard Strike

by dan5 in Central IpswichOct 3, 2017 with 2 replies and 29 views.

Why on earth are they standing over the road?653 654 Without a doubt the long term future for these people are set to be replaced. "keep the public safe" is a bit OTT and I doubt so many of the public will support them when their job prospects being threatened is packaged as being unsafe for for the public.The new trains ordered are actually quite dangerous... having drivers close the doors instead of guards? Not really. The doors will...

Latest reply: yeah, I am sure they would be in the way and perhaps causing an obstruction, but over there isn't outside their workplace! 4. Going on strike and picketingA picket line is where workers and union reps (‘picketers’ or ‘pickets’) stand outside...

4. dan5

Ipswich Wine Rack Apartments: taxpayer funded profit

by dan5 in Central IpswichSep 30, 2017 with 0 replies and 52 views.

Hat tip to The Ipswich Proposal for sharing this meeting video:-The Ipswich Star reported that the winerack now has the funds to be completed, however, when bought by John Howard there was a catch. Upon planning for this building in 2004, 33 of the flats were dedicated social housing. Now in the developer's hands, all residential units are to be luxury housing. You can view his presentation on his purchase. In the end, this man will do...

5. dan5

JD Sports: Tessuti designer clothing coming to old Next unit

by dan5 in Central IpswichSep 26, 2017 with 0 replies and 82 views.

Ipswich Society reports that Tessuti is coming to Ipswich in the former Next unit.The old Next store in Westgate Street is being fitted out for TESSUTI Designer Clothing and will be opening soon. Already well established in other big towns and cities in the UK, mainly in the North and the Midlands, this will be their first store in East Anglia.616Not only do they have big posters up which coincidentally reflect top-end brand "burger...

6. dan5

Ipswich Railway Station Forecourt revisited

by dan5 in Central IpswichSep 15, 2017 with 9 replies and 85 views.

So we have covered the Ipswich Rail Station forecourt works before... but a few months later...563 What is this? Welcome to Ipswich is located further from the doors than the ATM machines and postbox - even the bins! It is a third party premium map and not one by the council, Ipswich Central or the DMO. No visitor to Ipswich would notice it is there (apart from their way back to the train station to leave). Even if you found one of the...

Latest reply: Indeed, but we have to wrestle with weather and light conditions too. So it isn't always as simple as avoiding the rush (this is after you have found some time to do it too!)I expected this, SCC picked up a little around the time preceding the...

7. dan5

Cornhill Dig

by dan5 in Central IpswichSep 13, 2017 with 8 replies and 86 views.

560 Ipswich Society has posted a photo of the Cornhill archaeological dig in the town centre. They refer to the proposed fountains as "fun fountains". The lower level has been akin to the medieval market site - which is ironic as Ipswich Borough Council has no intention to keep the charter market on the Cornhill.What will happen once the work has been done? Are they going to keep the entire Cornhill closed off? As you can see very little...

Latest reply: Update photo...591 From Ipswich Society facebook.

8. martinc

The Winerack

by martinc in Central IpswichSep 11, 2017 with 7 replies and 79 views.

get your name down quick, before they all go.... Introduction

Latest reply: Possible that Regatta Block A (Velsheda) aka Winerack was going to use dodgy cladding?An application received this week to Substitution of an external cladding and replacing it with Keratwin K20 Ceramic Planks, colour terracotta as per...

9. wrightie

Eagle Wharf - Waterfront East Visitor centre

by wrightie in Central IpswichSep 9, 2017 with 9 replies and 121 views.

549 I wrote a post on this but thought it'd be interesting to post here.Eagle WharfIpswich waterfront lack a tourist attraction aside for a few cafes and bars, but it turns out there was a proposal for a visitor centre that would be the hub of East Anglia. Turns out in 2004 they wanted to create a visitor centre on the site between Ship Launch Road and Patterson Road... plus 566 flats, called Waterfront East. The centre would occupy...

Latest reply: Thank you for the map. It really puts it into perspective geographically. The whole area could have been pretty special. If we consider the university alone, they could have bunched up the campus a bit on the eastern edge of the wet dock......

10. dan5

Regent Theatre: do something about it #embarrassing

by dan5 in Central IpswichSep 8, 2017 with 0 replies and 28 views.

A person on Twitter has criticised Ipswich Borough Council for the awful external exterior of Ipswich's Regent Theatre. He wrote: @IpswichGov @IpswichRegent welcome to Ipswich - do something about it #embarrassing537 It has been like this for many years, decades. Ipswich Borough Council doesn't care about the state of the exterior largest theatre in East Anglia. if you want to attract more big names and importantly visitors, they need to...

11. martinc

Camp Cattlemarket now open for business!

by martinc in Central IpswichSep 8, 2017 with 21 replies and 149 views.

I imagine its probably not an official Camping and Caravan Club site, and I doubt you get an electric hook up, and not sure about the showers and loos but apart from that camp Cattle Market is now open for business with the first two tents having been pitched already.. Is this part of the tourist boom the town is supposed to be having maybe? Book now to avoid disappointment as space is limited...

Latest reply: I was pretty convinced that this would be folded into a PR stunt for the various homelessness agencies in Ipswich including the Homeless Shelter Bus. I am still waiting for news from Sandy Martin addressing this issue. Without sounding so cliche,...

12. dan5

Creams Gelato Co prepares to open in Buttermarket Centre

by dan5 in Central IpswichSep 7, 2017 with 4 replies and 218 views.

Ipswich Society reports that Creams (another ice cream desert place) refit is nearing completion and should open soon (ready for the autumn - probably a bad time to open?)535 Looks good from the outside, the white pillar is unfortunate and the Creams sign sideways looks bad... overall quite good.

Latest reply: It is interesting... Creams appears to be aiming upmarket - words like "purveyor" prominently displays will give the placebo effect of quality... although to some it may be too close to "pervert" to attract everyones money. :D Seller of desserts...

13. dan5

Update on Ipswich serious sexual assault (Tacket Street)

by dan5 in Central IpswichSep 7, 2017 with 0 replies and 32 views.

Suffolk Constabulary press release:-Detectives investigating the circumstances surrounding a woman found unconscious in an Ipswich car park at the weekend have concluded that she was not the victim of an assault.The woman was discovered by a member of the public at around 1.15am on Sunday 3 September in Tacket Street car park. She had last been seen in the area of Dogs Head Street around 12.15am.The ambulance service were called to...

14. dan5

Ipswich women angry over 'serious' and 'barbaric' sex attack claim hoax

by dan5 in Central IpswichSep 7, 2017 with 0 replies and 36 views.

Ipswich members of the public are very angry - in particular women who felt unsafe going out after dark since the sensational news reports - over an incident which was described in the Ipswich Star as both a serious sexual assault and barbaric sex attack. What can only appear to be a sick mockery of the Rope Walk attempted rape incident coinciding with the recent sentencing of the two suspects; very few people are defending the unnamed...

15. martinc

New National Cycle Route Signs

by martinc in Central IpswichSep 6, 2017 with 5 replies and 45 views.

Are these new? I hadn't seen them before but around the old Cattle Market a number of blue signs have sprung up with a red cycle route number telling us the direction and how far it is to such places as Bramford.... I should have taken a photo, I will in due course, but these are not there on the 2016 streetview images so must be quite new.My personal favorite is a sign at the top of Silent Street, which you would only see heading north...

Latest reply: yes, I liked Ken Livingstone, much misunderstood and greatly misrepresented in the tory press, didn't know that about the Boris busses, shocking.. not to mention the waste of money on the now canned garden bridge...

Thread Display Options