Central Ipswich

This covers Central Ipswich - Ipswich Town Centre including the political wards of Alexandra, St Margarets and Westgate - and for all intents and purposes the Ipswich Central BID (Business Improvement District) area, "Ipswich Village" and the Ipswich Waterfront (quayside only).

• Discussions 3
    • Messages 3

Cornhill

Cornhill
    Latest: How to save the Cornhill in Ipswich?Nov 13, 2017 at 3:10 PM,dan5
  1. Ipswich Village

Ipswich Village
    (Contains no messages)
    • Discussions 3
    • Messages 3

Ipswich Waterfront

Ipswich Waterfront
    Latest: Ipswich Waterfront: Is the plaque an sign?Nov 17, 2017 at 4:03 PM,dan5
  2. Portman Road

Portman Road
    (Contains no messages)
    • Discussions 1
    • Messages 1

Railway Station

Ipswich Railway Station (Ipswich Train Station)
    • Discussions 1
    • Messages 1

Star Lane Gyratory

Star Lane Gyratory
    Latest: Star Lane phantom roadworksNov 15, 2017 at 12:57 PM,dan5
  3. The Link

The Link
    (Contains no messages)
  4. The Saints

The Saints
    (Contains no messages)
    • Discussions 4
    • Messages 4

Town Centre

Town Centre
Sort By:
Title
RepliesViews
Last Message ↓
  1. dan5

Key Street Repaving

by dan5 in Central IpswichJul 6, 2017 with 5 replies and 98 views.

Ipswich Society reports that on Monday work will begin on paving Key Street. This will involve 12 weeks of roadworks - with Key Street having alternating closure of one lane while the work goes ahead. No doubt this not completely necessary work (the lack of weed control has created this problem) is a result of the Wine Rack plans and Quay Place renovation. After years of wrangling as to where the developer's boundary ends and Suffolk...

Latest reply: Crossing is now operational....833 Could they have not relocated these inspection covers half a metre away? Is it legal?

2. martinc

Camp Cattlemarket now open for business!

by martinc in Central IpswichSep 8, 2017 with 35 replies and 273 views.

I imagine its probably not an official Camping and Caravan Club site, and I doubt you get an electric hook up, and not sure about the showers and loos but apart from that camp Cattle Market is now open for business with the first two tents having been pitched already.. Is this part of the tourist boom the town is supposed to be having maybe? Book now to avoid disappointment as space is limited...

Latest reply: This is why it is vital for the council to keep areas maintained. When places become unloved, abandoned or derelict it attracts this lawlessness. It is a nationwide - probably worldwide actually - phenomenon.I would be really careful and avoid...

3. dan5

Ipswich Wine Rack Apartments: taxpayer funded profit

by dan5 in Central IpswichSep 30, 2017 with 4 replies and 90 views.

Hat tip to The Ipswich Proposal for sharing this meeting video:-The Ipswich Star reported that the winerack now has the funds to be completed, however, when bought by John Howard there was a catch. Upon planning for this building in 2004, 33 of the flats were dedicated social housing. Now in the developer's hands, all residential units are to be luxury housing. You can view his presentation on his purchase. In the end, this man will do...

Latest reply: It raises questions at the borough planning department. I was unable to find any reference between "velsheda" and the site or company involved (doesn't mean there isn't one), so it appears they may have just went along with the wet dock / Ipswich...

4. dan5

JD Sports: Tessuti designer clothing coming to old Next unit

by dan5 in Central IpswichSep 26, 2017 with 3 replies and 167 views.

Ipswich Society reports that Tessuti is coming to Ipswich in the former Next unit.The old Next store in Westgate Street is being fitted out for TESSUTI Designer Clothing and will be opening soon. Already well established in other big towns and cities in the UK, mainly in the North and the Midlands, this will be their first store in East Anglia.616Not only do they have big posters up which coincidentally reflect top-end brand "burger...

Latest reply: people working in there today, shopfitting?

5. dan5

Ipswich Family Trail 2017

by dan5 in Central IpswichAug 9, 2017 with 7 replies and 87 views.

283 Compared to the Explore Ipswich Visitor Guide, the Ipswich Family Trail (although for a completely different audience) is actually really good. Allows children to learn about features on buildings and the like.Runs until early September... See an online version of the booklet or get a copy from the Tourist Information Centre.Ipswich Family Trail

Latest reply: I am sure there is a couple of questionable characters but each of those people have a story. The council seems to think it isn't their problem as these people don't pay council tax and probably don't vote either. It is an awful attitude to...

6. Ipswi

Ipswich Professional Drivers

by Ipswi in Central IpswichMar 19, 2017 with 1 replies and 118 views.

One of my growing pet hates bugbears in recent times is poor standards of driving. Primarily as witnessed by professional drivers.Lorries overtaking on the A14 can be annoying but this topic is to focus on taxi drivers and bus drivers (from my perspectives anyhow).Professional DriversThe below is my experiences to share but feel free to add any incidents of poor standards by taxi drivers, bus drivers, driving instructors and lorry...

Latest reply: Never heard anything back from Ipswich Borough Council. Don't think they ever took any action.

7. martinc

Parking in Arras Square, St Stephens Lane

by martinc in Central IpswichFeb 13, 2017 with 27 replies and 138 views.

Still a big problem with no sign of any action from either SCC of IBC. So far as we understand their is a Traffic Order preventing parking but as there are no signs up it can't be enforced. IBC would be responsible for the enforcement but they have advised us that they are waiting for SCC to sort out the signs. SCC also advise that there are potential land ownership issues that may be complicating the issue. Bottom line is we can't get a...

Latest reply: This is what I initially thought, workmen perhaps doing preliminary works in BHS, but both property and van locked (I assume, didn't exactly check either but "closed" nevertheless). They weren't marked up with a business name or company branding,...

8. dan5

Connexions 159

by dan5 in Central IpswichJul 13, 2017 with 10 replies and 163 views.

Please please please, somebody take this building (or a floor) already!Connexions 159 Office Block - Office Space Ipswich, SuffolkTO LET: Town centre location2 minutes walk from Ipswich Train Station • 5 minutes walk to Town Centre • 60+ car parking spaces • Grade A office space of 44,646 sq ft • Suites from 8,540 sq ft to 44,646 sq ftWWbR2wDdV28http://www.connexions159.co.uk/downloads/Connexions159-flyer.pdf

Latest reply: I went past today and they are offering incentives. New boards up outside (might have been for a couple of weeks) and are utilising windows to stick vinyl advertisements promoting the office space. I wonder if they have read IPSWI... (back in...

9. dan5

Ipswich Waterfront Innovation Centre: one year on

by dan5 in Central IpswichOct 5, 2017 with 0 replies and 55 views.

As part of the University of Suffolk's £5.5m Attrium building, is the Ipswich Waterfront Innovation Centre:-Ipswich Waterfront Innovation Centre663 The Ipswich Waterfront Innovation Centre (IWIC) has been established by The University of Suffolk as a focal point for developing new entrepreneurs and ICT businesses. A single point of integration and access between enterprise, facilities and academic expertise, the IWIC will provide...

10. dan5

Rail Safety: Greater Anglia guards open wrong doors

by dan5 in Central IpswichOct 4, 2017 with 1 replies and 52 views.

In a shocking allegation made on twitter, it appears a guard (you know those who were recently protesting about being replaced by the driver when the new trains are delivered) opened the wrong doors (i.e. not the doors the correct side... the platform).This resulted in two passengers getting off on the wrong side, at Platform 1 in Ipswich Train Station. 660 Not really the best attitude to have when trying to save the long term future of...

Latest reply: Ipswich Star has now picked this up, and as many may have realised (I didn't) that the guards were stand-in guards not the guards on strike.Ipswich Star - Safety fears as stand-in guard unlocks doors on wrong side of GA trainBad mistake on my...

11. dan5

Greater Anglia Guard Strike

by dan5 in Central IpswichOct 3, 2017 with 2 replies and 46 views.

Why on earth are they standing over the road?653 654 Without a doubt the long term future for these people are set to be replaced. "keep the public safe" is a bit OTT and I doubt so many of the public will support them when their job prospects being threatened is packaged as being unsafe for for the public.The new trains ordered are actually quite dangerous... having drivers close the doors instead of guards? Not really. The doors will...

Latest reply: yeah, I am sure they would be in the way and perhaps causing an obstruction, but over there isn't outside their workplace! 4. Going on strike and picketingA picket line is where workers and union reps (‘picketers’ or ‘pickets’) stand outside...

12. dan5

Cornhill Dig

by dan5 in Central IpswichSep 13, 2017 with 8 replies and 102 views.

560 Ipswich Society has posted a photo of the Cornhill archaeological dig in the town centre. They refer to the proposed fountains as "fun fountains". The lower level has been akin to the medieval market site - which is ironic as Ipswich Borough Council has no intention to keep the charter market on the Cornhill.What will happen once the work has been done? Are they going to keep the entire Cornhill closed off? As you can see very little...

Latest reply: Update photo...591 From Ipswich Society facebook.

13. martinc

The Winerack

by martinc in Central IpswichSep 11, 2017 with 7 replies and 96 views.

get your name down quick, before they all go.... Introduction

Latest reply: Possible that Regatta Block A (Velsheda) aka Winerack was going to use dodgy cladding?An application received this week to Substitution of an external cladding and replacing it with Keratwin K20 Ceramic Planks, colour terracotta as per...

14. dan5

Ipswich Railway Station Forecourt revisited

by dan5 in Central IpswichSep 15, 2017 with 9 replies and 134 views.

So we have covered the Ipswich Rail Station forecourt works before... but a few months later...563 What is this? Welcome to Ipswich is located further from the doors than the ATM machines and postbox - even the bins! It is a third party premium map and not one by the council, Ipswich Central or the DMO. No visitor to Ipswich would notice it is there (apart from their way back to the train station to leave). Even if you found one of the...

Latest reply: Indeed, but we have to wrestle with weather and light conditions too. So it isn't always as simple as avoiding the rush (this is after you have found some time to do it too!)I expected this, SCC picked up a little around the time preceding the...

15. dan5

Ipswich Jobs and Careers Fair

by dan5 in Central IpswichAug 29, 2017 with 6 replies and 82 views.

From Ipswich Borough Council website:-If you are looking for a new job or a change in career – this event is the place to go to!A Jobs and Careers Fair is taking place on Thursday 14th September at Ipswich Corn Exchange, with up to 40 companies and organisations offering advice and information about current vacancies and training opportunities. It is all happening between 10am and 2pm and with AXA, Marks & Spencer, Waitrose and John...

Latest reply: Ipswich Borough Council has released a press release... Fair enough! Businesses hail jobs and careers event | Ipswich Borough CouncilMore than 1,200 people flocked to the Ipswich Jobs & Career Fair at the Corn Exchange, with businesses hailing...

Thread Display Options