Central Ipswich

This covers Central Ipswich - Ipswich Town Centre including the political wards of Alexandra, St Margarets and Westgate - and for all intents and purposes the Ipswich Central BID (Business Improvement District) area, "Ipswich Village" and the Ipswich Waterfront (quayside only).

• Discussions 3
    • Messages 3

Cornhill

Cornhill
  1. Ipswich Village

Ipswich Village
    (Contains no messages)
    • Discussions 8
    • Messages 8

Ipswich Waterfront

Ipswich Waterfront
  2. Portman Road

Portman Road
    (Contains no messages)
    • Discussions 3
    • Messages 3

Railway Station

Ipswich Railway Station (Ipswich Train Station)
    • Discussions 1
    • Messages 1

Star Lane Gyratory

Star Lane Gyratory
    Latest: Star Lane phantom roadworksNov 15, 2017,dan5
  3. The Link

The Link
    (Contains no messages)
  4. The Saints

The Saints
    (Contains no messages)
Sort By:
Title
RepliesViews
Last Message ↓
  1. dan5

Flux Freestyle Ipswich Cardinal Park calls it a day

by dan5 in Central IpswichJan 12, 2018 at 4:11 PM with 0 replies and 68 views.

Flux Freestyle in Ipswich's Cardinal Park appears to have hit the wall. Staff are demanding their wages, were apparently fired over a group chat and told the company has gone bankrupt/in liquidation. Their competitor Bounce situated on Ipswich Borough Council's Anglia Retail Park appear to be surviving the market well.1040 Their website and facebook has been taken down...1041 A photo from Ipswich Star of the closed entrance...1042 The...

2. dan5

Cardinal Park leisure terrace

by dan5 in Central IpswichJan 2, 2018 with 2 replies and 54 views.

Ipswich is getting a new restaurant complex... actually Cardinal Park is to fight back against Buttermarket Centre with a face-lift along with outside seating. The existing leisure complex terrace attempt at a futuristic look has always looked pretty terrible, which has become so awkwardly terrible like the vacant Odeon building. This surely has to look better than the existing mess? I don't think the al-fresco dinning works here but others...

Latest reply: It might all depend on whether Buttermarket Centre gets away with their car park woes... You can tell Cardinal Park owners L&G (?) are worried about Buttermarket Centre and Bankside... as they have found the need to improve (even slightly)...

3. Ipswi

Chopstix Noodle bar coming to Ipswich Sailmakers

by Ipswi in Central IpswichApr 28, 2017 with 7 replies and 514 views.

We can reveal that Chopstix Noodle Bar intends to open in Unit 8 of Sailmakers.Chopstix (if granted planning consent) will then be rivalling Wagamama in Buttermarket Centre.

Latest reply: Ah... I have news... apparently opening on Tuesday!!! 941601665001631744I will have to create a new post about it lol and see whether Ipswich Star picks up on it I wouldn't be surprised... apparently their franchisee requirements are around...

4. dan5

What's The Hold Up With The Suffolk Record Office?

by dan5 in Central IpswichAug 7, 2017 with 1 replies and 98 views.

A project which has been in the background for many years and formally adopted in 2015. A joint venture between Suffolk County Council and University of Suffolk, there has been some significant attempt by both relevant local councils - Ipswich Borough Council and Suffolk County Council - into off-loading council assets gifted to the struggling new university. Ipswich Museum & Art School was one of them - to have been developed as what would...

Latest reply: The Hold (if planning approved) has an £2.8m funding gap.

5. martinc

The Easy Hotel, what's happening?

by martinc in Central IpswichJun 30, 2017 with 14 replies and 249 views.

The site of the new Easy Hotel in Northgate Street looks to have been abandoned. Someone I know who works adjacent tells me the workers have not been on site for a month or so now. Scaffold was put up and never used, then taken down again, and the office the builders have over the road in the former restaurant hasn't seen any activity in ages.Has the project fallen through?

Latest reply: Update:-New listed building planning application (17/01135/LBC) for:Internal and external works associated with the change of use to hotel (Class C1) with 89 ensuite bedrooms and a Class A3 ground floor unit.3 - 5 Northgate StreetIpswich...

6. martinc

Camp Cattlemarket now open for business!

by martinc in Central IpswichSep 8, 2017 with 37 replies and 330 views.

I imagine its probably not an official Camping and Caravan Club site, and I doubt you get an electric hook up, and not sure about the showers and loos but apart from that camp Cattle Market is now open for business with the first two tents having been pitched already.. Is this part of the tourist boom the town is supposed to be having maybe? Book now to avoid disappointment as space is limited...

Latest reply: Sounds like they have no intention of sorting out the gutters etc I went past last week I think it was (failing that the time before) and it all looked rather wooden instead of the glass. I don't think it is a priority to fix it. Looks pretty...

7. Ipswi

The Link scrapped plan another nail in Ipswich waterfront coffin

by Ipswi in Central IpswichApr 25, 2017 with 6 replies and 147 views.

Archant's old offices in Lower Brook Street were to be turned into "The Link" - an architecturally brilliant mixed office, retail, leisure, hotel and multi-storey car park development. Penn Commercial as agent and Wrenbridge as developer. Not an greyfriars disaster. Except, aiming for the floor, Ipswich is to get retirement housing development instead. The Link wasn't that ambitious. CGI drawings hint at a Waitrose on ground floor. £20m of...

Latest reply: Well found. I haven't seen this concept photo either. I have never been keen on the Ipswich Waterfront but I agree, this would have allowed a connected mix-use linking both areas. Which in turn would bring far more people down there. The footfall...

8. dan5

Ipswich Wine Rack Apartments: taxpayer funded profit

by dan5 in Central IpswichSep 30, 2017 with 7 replies and 153 views.

Hat tip to The Ipswich Proposal for sharing this meeting video:-The Ipswich Star reported that the winerack now has the funds to be completed, however, when bought by John Howard there was a catch. Upon planning for this building in 2004, 33 of the flats were dedicated social housing. Now in the developer's hands, all residential units are to be luxury housing. You can view his presentation on his purchase. In the end, this man will do...

Latest reply: I cannot see how they will be doing much without the crane, so I guess initial works is securing the site (properly) and checking the state of the concrete for 4-6 months. I still cannot believe that they are using the derogatory term "wine...

9. dan5

Tesco removes roadworks and parks on collapsed drain

by dan5 in Central IpswichDec 1, 2017 with 0 replies and 41 views.

A twitter user Ciro De Lellis posted photos on twitter which appears to show traffic cones having been removed and loading off double yellow lines...936182894984351744When @Tesco remove @suffolkcc roadworks (for a collapsing drain) then park directly on top of the collapsing drain, when the driver was told, driver responding "well its not collapsed yet"887 888 889 I wonder why such a small store needs such a large lorry... (you will...

10. dan5

Key Street Repaving

by dan5 in Central IpswichJul 6, 2017 with 5 replies and 133 views.

Ipswich Society reports that on Monday work will begin on paving Key Street. This will involve 12 weeks of roadworks - with Key Street having alternating closure of one lane while the work goes ahead. No doubt this not completely necessary work (the lack of weed control has created this problem) is a result of the Wine Rack plans and Quay Place renovation. After years of wrangling as to where the developer's boundary ends and Suffolk...

Latest reply: Crossing is now operational....833 Could they have not relocated these inspection covers half a metre away? Is it legal?

11. dan5

JD Sports: Tessuti designer clothing coming to old Next unit

by dan5 in Central IpswichSep 26, 2017 with 3 replies and 288 views.

Ipswich Society reports that Tessuti is coming to Ipswich in the former Next unit.The old Next store in Westgate Street is being fitted out for TESSUTI Designer Clothing and will be opening soon. Already well established in other big towns and cities in the UK, mainly in the North and the Midlands, this will be their first store in East Anglia.616Not only do they have big posters up which coincidentally reflect top-end brand "burger...

Latest reply: people working in there today, shopfitting?

12. dan5

Ipswich Family Trail 2017

by dan5 in Central IpswichAug 9, 2017 with 7 replies and 113 views.

283 Compared to the Explore Ipswich Visitor Guide, the Ipswich Family Trail (although for a completely different audience) is actually really good. Allows children to learn about features on buildings and the like.Runs until early September... See an online version of the booklet or get a copy from the Tourist Information Centre.Ipswich Family Trail

Latest reply: I am sure there is a couple of questionable characters but each of those people have a story. The council seems to think it isn't their problem as these people don't pay council tax and probably don't vote either. It is an awful attitude to...

13. Ipswi

Ipswich Professional Drivers

by Ipswi in Central IpswichMar 19, 2017 with 1 replies and 188 views.

One of my growing pet hates bugbears in recent times is poor standards of driving. Primarily as witnessed by professional drivers.Lorries overtaking on the A14 can be annoying but this topic is to focus on taxi drivers and bus drivers (from my perspectives anyhow).Professional DriversThe below is my experiences to share but feel free to add any incidents of poor standards by taxi drivers, bus drivers, driving instructors and lorry...

Latest reply: Never heard anything back from Ipswich Borough Council. Don't think they ever took any action.

14. martinc

Parking in Arras Square, St Stephens Lane

by martinc in Central IpswichFeb 13, 2017 with 27 replies and 172 views.

Still a big problem with no sign of any action from either SCC of IBC. So far as we understand their is a Traffic Order preventing parking but as there are no signs up it can't be enforced. IBC would be responsible for the enforcement but they have advised us that they are waiting for SCC to sort out the signs. SCC also advise that there are potential land ownership issues that may be complicating the issue. Bottom line is we can't get a...

Latest reply: This is what I initially thought, workmen perhaps doing preliminary works in BHS, but both property and van locked (I assume, didn't exactly check either but "closed" nevertheless). They weren't marked up with a business name or company branding,...

15. dan5

Connexions 159

by dan5 in Central IpswichJul 13, 2017 with 10 replies and 208 views.

Please please please, somebody take this building (or a floor) already!Connexions 159 Office Block - Office Space Ipswich, SuffolkTO LET: Town centre location2 minutes walk from Ipswich Train Station • 5 minutes walk to Town Centre • 60+ car parking spaces • Grade A office space of 44,646 sq ft • Suites from 8,540 sq ft to 44,646 sq ftWWbR2wDdV28http://www.connexions159.co.uk/downloads/Connexions159-flyer.pdf

Latest reply: I went past today and they are offering incentives. New boards up outside (might have been for a couple of weeks) and are utilising windows to stick vinyl advertisements promoting the office space. I wonder if they have read IPSWI... (back in...

Thread Display Options